Explosion of flavor. Seriously. I had no idea that so much awesomeness could exist on a pizza.
This pie was definitely a labor of love. I spent all day making the pizza sauce and the crust and then carefully topping everything so that it was just right. And even though it took a while to make, I am definitely going to be making it again! Perhaps I’ll skip the canned tomatoes and use tomatoes from the garden (if they ever decide to ripen)…
I seriously don’t even know how to explain the sweetness of the pizza sauce paired with the tangy goat cheese and sweet, caramelized onions… so, just try it for yourself!
Short on time? No problem – feel free to use some pizza dough mix to speed up the process. I would definitely recommend making the sauce, though; it’s super quick and easy.
Here are some tips:
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
Pizza dough (see recipe below)
1 1/2 cups pizza sauce (see recipe below)
4 ounces goat cheese
1 large bulb roasted garlic, mashed with a fork
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Basil chiffonade, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar. Set onions aside.
- Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle approximately 12″x17″. Brush crust lightly with olive oil and bake for 5 minutes to slightly crisp up.
- Spread pizza sauce on the crust. Sprinkle with roasted garlic and caramelized onions. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and top with a basil chiffonade.
makes 1 large pizza
1 .25 ounce package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water (~110°F)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fit stand mixer with dough hook. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in mixing bowl. Pour in oil and water.
- Beat on low (speed 2) until dough pulls away from side of bowl and gathers around hook. Mix until smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough out to fit large pizza pan and pierce with a fork. Brush with olive oil and bake for 5 minutes before topping with desired ingredients.
- Bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and crispy.
6 fluid ounces water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together, breaking up any clumps of cheese.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight before using.