I’m a cookbook junkie. I have shelves and shelves of cookbooks of all different types. I seriously love them. I honestly love just having them – I don’t cook a lot from them. In fact, most of my cookbooks get looked at once, maybe twice a year. As always, there are exceptions. Baked: New Frontiers in Baking is my most recent purchase and I’m obsessed with it. Every single dish I’ve made from it has been amazing. If you don’t own this book, I beg you – BUY IT!
Now, these muffins… so so good. In fact, I made these about 2 months ago for some friends. They were gobbled up before I even got a chance to take a photo for the blog. Thankfully, these muffins are also very easy to make and really tasty so I didn’t mind having to make these again! In fact, I whipped these up before heading to work on Friday. It only took about 20 minutes of prep time and another 20 for baking. I made a few adjustments so they would be a bit healthier and I loved how they turned out!
Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
very slightly adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
3 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (6 – 7 medium – large bananas)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-12 cup muffin pans with liners or grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together bananas, sugar, brown sugar, butter, applesauce, milk, and eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, instant coffee, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared muffin cups with batter, filling each one 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing the muffins and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.