I bought some Gruyere a long time ago to make a puff pastry, but I never got around to making it. So, after seeing it sit in my fridge for month after month, I finally decided to use it.
Chicken Gruyere with Sauteed Mushrooms
serves 3 – 4
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup butter, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 pound fresh mushrooms (cremini or white button)
1 onion, sliced into rings
1/2 cup white wine
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, pepper and parsley. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium high heat. Place chicken into the skillet and fry until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer browned chicken to a 1 quart baking dish.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and fry the mushrooms and onion until wilted and lightly browned. Stir in the white wine and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour mushroom mixture over the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. After 2o minutes, remove foil and sprinkle the chicken with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.