I set out looking for dishes I could make for Easter brunch. I found this one in one of the old cookbooks and couldn’t resist. I opted to use frozen tart cherries instead of blueberries though, since that’s what we had on hand. The cherries were picked by my in-laws during the summer and I thought that they would be perfect in coffee cake!
Here’s a snapshot of the original recipe:
Here’s the recipe with my modifications:
Cherry Coffee Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups tart cherries, pitted
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
For the topping:
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13×9 pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- In medium bowl, cream butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar and continue creaming until fluffy. Add egg, beating well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing after each addition until just smooth.
- In small bowl, combine cherries, 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon sugar. Gently fold in cherries to batter.
- Spread batter into greased pan.
- To make topping: combine all dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture in crumbly.*
- Sprinkle topping evenly over coffee cake and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes and enjoy!!