Today’s recipe is a dish that I can only dream of eating… Making cheesy freezer meals for Mike is kind of torturous. Mike swears these shells taste awesome. I can assure you that they smell awesome, but I couldn’t try them.
Cheesy Spinach & Chicken Stuffed Shells
1 – 12 ounce box jumbo shells
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast., diced
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dried
8 ounce reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
2 cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Cook pasta according to package directions, being careful not to over cook. When pasta is al dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, remove chicken to a separate plate.
- Add more oil to pan, if necessary, and add in onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent. Stir in spinach, cream cheese and almond milk until cream cheese is melted and mixture is creamy. Stir in cooked chicken. Sprinkle in half the Parmesan cheese and stir until evenly distributed.
- Spray two 9×13 baking dishes with olive oil. Spread 1/4 cup of sauce into the bottom of each pan. Spoon filling into cooked shells and arrange in baking dishes. When all shells are filled, drizzle remaining sauce onto the top of the shells and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- To serve immediately, preheat oven to 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes. Filling should be hot and bubbly and Parmesan cheese should be melted and lightly browned.
- If freezing, prepare as directed using freezer and oven-safe containers. Defrost dish in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 35-40 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.