Mike needed to bring a dessert to one of his meetings. I stumbled upon this recipe and I couldn’t resist – chocolate with caramel? Yes, please! These cookies are so good – soft, gooey, and so easy to make. I think the most difficult part was unwrapping all those darn Hershey’s Kisses 🙂
Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
48 chocolate-covered caramel candies*
- Beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in white and brown sugars until well incorporated. Beat in eggs one at a time and beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients into butter mixture, beating well. Cover and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup nuts with 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl. Place 1/4 cup sugar into another small bowl.
- Divide dough into 4 parts. Divide each of the 4 parts into 12 pieces to get 48 cookies.
- Take a piece of dough and form it into a bowl shape. Place chocolate in the center of the cookie and mold the dough up around the candy. Roll the cookie in your hands to mold into a smooth ball. Roll cookie into a ball and dip top into sugar or sugar/nut mixture.
- Place cookies, sugar/nut side up on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8 minutes.
- Let cookies cool completely on cookie sheets before removing.
*I used Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses with Caramel. They were great – the caramel stayed soft inside and it was easy to shape the cookie around them. I may try another chocolate next time, though!