I love fruit crisps. They’re pretty idiot-proof, meaning I don’t need to rely on a recipe to make it taste good. I was so excited to use the first batch of rhubarb that my in laws’ garden yielded*, especially since the rhubarb that we transplanted into our garden was looking pretty pitiful.
I kept waiting for a nice day so I could take good pictures, but Wisconsin decided to rain on my parade. Literally. Our sump pump has been running 24/7 and our yard is a lake. We now have water-front property, folks.
I love the simplicity of this recipe – it takes so little effort and time, and it’s so delicious!
Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
makes 9 servings
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix filling ingredients together and let sit.
- Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients of topping together. Pour in butter and stir until large crumbs form.
- Pour filling into an 8.5″ square pan and top evenly with topping.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until done.
- Eat as soon as it’s cool enough to shovel into your mouth.
*Grass may or may not have made its way into this dish. I will neither deny nor confirm this. I kid. I think I picked most of it out from the rhubarb 😉