I had previously said that I don’t really like kale. I would like to take back that statement. It turns out that I just didn’t like whatever dish I had made with kale. I really really like this chicken and kale dish!
I ended up throwing this together after I spent a good 5 minutes staring at our (empty) fridge. I pulled out a few things that we did have (chicken, scapes, and kale for starters) and got cookin’!
Spicy Chicken with Kale
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch pieces
2 teaspoons olive oil
5 garlic scapes, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
1 bunch kale, stemmed and washed
2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice wine, chicken broth, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook chicken until no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
- Add in garlic scapes and jalapeno and cook for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in kale and cover, stirring occasionally for an additional 3 – 5 minutes, or until kale is cooked.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and sesame oil and stir fry for one more minute.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 8:21 am
Love that you added jalapeno. I have a serious love of spicy food.
Wednesday, July 4, 2012 at 12:55 am
Come and add it to the party when you get a chance…http://inherchucks.com/2012/06/27/whats-in-the-box-32/. Looking forward to seeing you there 🙂