These cookies were my first attempt at making sugar cookie cutouts and decorating with royal icing. I obviously have a few kinks to work out (hellooo messy piping!), but I think my cookies will start to look better with practice. Even though these cookies were time consuming, the end result was so worth it. I’ve got new decorating tips and cookie cutters on my wishlist now – I can’t wait to make more!
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature for one hour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fit stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Place butter and sugar in the bowl of the mixer and cream until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and mix until well incorporated. Add in cream cheese and mix until well incorporated. Mix in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add in one cup at a time to butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into 6 even balls. Keep dough in fridge until ready to roll out. Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll out into 1/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies with cookie cutters (I used a football, Motion W, and Bucky Badger).
- Place cut-outs onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 – 12 minutes or until dough is no longer shiny. You do not want the cookies to brown.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully moving to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Once completely cooled, store cookies in a tightly covered container until ready to decorate.
adapted from The Kitchn
3/4 cup warm water
5 tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2.25 pound bag of powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Place warm water and meringue powder in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Whisk for 30 seconds or until thick and frothy. Add in cream of tartar and whisk for 30 more seconds. Carefully add in all the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Fit stand mixer with paddle attachment and mix the icing on low for 10 minutes. Alternately, whisk by hand for 10 full minutes or use a hand mixer for 10 minutes. Icing will be thick and creamy.
- Place plastic wrap directly onto icing in bowl and cover bowl with a slightly damp towel until ready to use.
recipe from Sweetopia
Now, on to decorating these cookies! I used three gel icing colors to make these cookies (black, brown, and red) and kept a portion of the icing white. After mixing the colors, I thinned my icing to a “10 second icing”. 10 second icing means that when I run a knife through the icing, the line that appears smooths out completely in 10 seconds. If it took longer than 10 seconds for the icing to disappear, I thinned the icing out with a couple drops of water at a time until the 10 second consistency was reached.
For decorating, I used piping bags and #1, #1.5 and #2 tips.
Now for technique: I can’t even begin to explain the technique of outlining and flooding. I’m going to instead point you to Sweetopia’s really, really great post on cookie decorating tips. After you read through her post, read on to see how I timed out my decorating.
- Day 1: outline and flood the cookies
- Football: outline and flood in brown with #2 tip. Let dry 24 hours.
- Motion W: outline and flood in red with #2 tip. Let dry 24 hours.
- Bucky Badger: outline and flood Bucky’s face, hands, and legs in white with #1.5 tip. Let dry for 1 hour. Outline and flood Bucky’s shirt in red with #1.5 tip.
- Day 2: detail work!
- Football: pipe white details with #1.5 tip. Let dry 24 hours.
- Bucky Badger: pipe black face details with #1 tip. Outline face, hands, and legs in black with #1 tip. Add black detailing to hands and legs with #1 tip. Pipe white stripes and W onto shirt with #1 tip. Let dry 24 hours.
Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 7:59 am
I think they’re darling! I never would have known it was your first try if you hadn’t told. Especially love your badgers!
Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 11:18 am
I do not leave a response, however after reading through a few of the remarks
on this page Wisconsin Badger Cut-Out Sugar Cookies with Royal Icibg |.
I do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me
or does it lok like a few of the comments look like they
are left by brain dead people? 😛 And, if you are posting at other online
sites, I would like to keep up with you.
Could you post a list of every one of all your social pages
like your linkkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
Friday, January 31, 2014 at 9:57 am
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit
and sources back to your blog? My blog is in the exact same
area of interest as yours and my users would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Thank
Friday, February 28, 2014 at 2:28 am
When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the image of
a user in his/her mind that how a user can
understand it. Therefore that’s why this piece of writing is amazing.
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm
I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you,
you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
I’m very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 8:12 am
Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that
would be okay. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new
Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 10:29 am
You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the
work you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
At all times follow your heart.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm
I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are
not already 😉 Cheers!
Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 11:43 pm
you’re in reality a good webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing.
It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job
in this subject!
Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 10:47 am
Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment
but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
Anyhow, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 12:07 am
I am really thankful to the holder of this site who has shared this
impressive article at here.
Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks
I’ve read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess
I will just book mark this web site.
Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 1:29 am
There is nnot mucch on the internet more enjoyable than
a funn post like this one. I appreciaate the hard work it
takes to create. I appreciate stopping by doughseedough.net often just to see more about
my focis rgarding Baldinger Law Firm.
Friday, June 6, 2014 at 10:46 pm
Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog
world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you
need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Look online for the types of things they are posting and get a sense of the style that they use.
Our campaigns convey your accomplishments, forge
a connection with your audience, and help increase public support and public awareness.
The best way to handle this is to respond to these negative reviews by apologizing.
How many times are you going to upload photos this week.
If you are not an active user of social media and you think that having a profile set-up
will ‘just do the work itself’, then you are in for a dissappointment.
People don’t need to know every last thing you are up to.
Yes, but it is a whole lot better than prospecting strangers at shopping malls.
Mistake #5: Internal Conflicts Sometimes, employees will start griping about their jobs on social media sites.
If you want your social media marketing blogs to succeed, they need to
be of an exceptional standard, so leave it to the professionals.
4: Yellow Pages Are Still the Most Effective Advertising Medium Every time I read
a statistic saying that the highest percentage of veterinary
clients come from the Yellow Pages, I shudder.
Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm
It is vital that tanning solution is applied using the right technique.
Also, tanning on exfoliated skin leads to even tan application as well as even fading.
To not have a streaky, splotchy fake tan, hair removal is important.
If a friend or relative can help spray on the product, it is
even better. Exfoliating is very important before getting a fake tan. Open up a bottle of fake tan and have yourself the best appearance.
There are many reasons for this, but perhaps the main reason is that someone who looks healthy will appear to have
good genetics. All of those are valid questions
and the answer is that spray tans are safe, and are not made out of harmful chemicals.
Sprays: Sunless tanning sprays are very popular today and are a method to
achieve a sunless tan. As we all know, however, if you abuse fake tan there is
nothing to stop you ending up looking like a cross between a tango advert and the latest range of leather purses.
Friday, July 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness
and appearance. I must say you have done a fantastic job with this.
In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Firefox.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 1:29 am
So, if you are really looking forward to get rid of all your
skin problems in a natural way, get all solutions on. With
the growing trend of online shopping, more and more websites are emerging
with quality hair care products for sleek and shiny hair.
It must be protected well if the body is to be kept safe and healthy without any serious problems.
Friday, August 15, 2014 at 4:08 pm
For those who are looking forward to that perfect tan to match with the dress
or the mood or the d. When you first begin tanning, go for the shortest
time, usually eight minutes. There are additional ways to have tanned
skin even when there are piles of snow on the ground.
Monday, September 1, 2014 at 9:03 am
Thanks for sharing such a pleasant opinion, post is
pleasant, thats why i have read it entirely
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 3:27 am
Hello colleagues, how is everything, and what you want to say
regarding this post, in my view its actually remarkable for me.
Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 1:32 am
Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 8:00 pm
I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site 🙂