I had the privilege of trying this delicacy for the first time last year. As much as I hate to say this, I actually kind of like it. A lot. And I have a few little secrets that make it even better.
1. Red pepper flakes, and lots of ’em.
2. Baking the casserole without cheese to get the tots crispy
I apologize in advance for the photo. I think it’s dang near impossible to take an appetizing photograph of this monstrosity of a meal.
Tater Tot Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound frozen green beans
1 pound frozen corn
2 10.75 ounce cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 32 ounce package tater tots (I like the mini tots)
1.5 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Sauté the onion in a large pot until cooked. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Mix in green beans, corn, and soup. Stir in red pepper flakes until well-distributed.
- Spread mixture into a casserole dish and top with tater tots.
- Bake 30 – 45 minutes, or until tots are golden brown and casserole is heated through.
- Top with cheese and broil until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.