Asian lettuce wraps. Everyone loves them. It’s crazy how something so simple looking can pack in so much intense flavor. So, cook up a batch, sit down with a large pile of napkins, and enjoy!
Want to know my little secret? Make extras. The leftovers are just as tasty 🙂
Another secret? I make it into a salad of sorts – chopped up lettuce, some steamed rice, and the filling all drizzled with some of the dipping sauce. It’s a little less messy than eating it burrito-style.
1 pound lean ground pork
1 large or 2 small heads Boston Bibb/butter lettuce
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Sriracha or other Asian chile sauce
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and minced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
For dipping sauce:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon Sriracha or other Asian chile sauce
- Carefully remove leaves from lettuce head. Rinse and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over high heat, brown ground pork. Stirring often. Drain and set aside.
- Add onion to pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger vinegar, and Sriracha and stir, cooking for another minute. Stir in water chestnuts, green onions, sesame oil and cooked pork. Continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- To serve, spoon a portion of the meat onto a lettuce leaf, wrap up like a burrito and enjoy with the dipping sauce!
Monday, January 30, 2012 at 6:35 am
I love this! thanks for sharing. I have never had water chestnuts before, in fact I was looking at it yesterday when I went shopping. Now I have a recipe for it.
Monday, January 30, 2012 at 8:15 am
Water chestnuts have little flavor on their own, but they add a nice crunch to the dish! Hope you enjoy 🙂
Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm
Just made this for dinner. I used ground beef since I had a ton of it on hand. I absolutely loved it! Super easy and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Friday, January 31, 2014 at 10:30 am
Huge hit at our office Super Bowl party!