I love buying produce from the farmers’ market and the market is located only blocks from my apartment. I loved this dish so much that I made it several times over the course of 2 weeks. Thank goodness I have a tolerant boyfriend…
Pasta with Asparagus
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces, using only the tips and tender parts of the stem
1 lb dried pasta
5 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1/2 cup heavy cream
nutmeg, salt, and black pepper
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan, plus additional to serve
- Cook asparagus in a pan of boiling, salted water until just tender – about 3 – 5 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water until completely cooled. Drain and reserve.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat, until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cream and simmer gently until the cream is just thickened, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Add pasta with Parmesan to the hot sauce and toss gently, adding reserved water as needed.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan.