These decadent cupcakes are filled with a marshmallow creme and topped with a chocolate ganache. I still haven’t figured out the perfect name for them yet, so “chocolate cupcakes” will have to do for now…
–For the cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
–For the filling
4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow creme
–For the ganache
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place liners into the muffin pans.
- To make the cupcakes, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Bring the granulated sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Pour the sugar mixture into a large bowl and add the chocolate and butter. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the vanilla and using a mixer, beat in the eggs. Mix in the dry ingredients. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, about 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Move to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, cream the butter with a mixer until light and fluffy. Carefully beat in 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tbs. heavy cream, beating until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tbs. of heavy cream to the mixture. Beat in the marshmallow creme, mixing until smooth.
- To prepare the ganache, place the chocolate in a stainless steel bowl. Heat the cream and 1 tbs. butter in a small saucepan until just boiling and pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth. Add 2 tsp. vanilla and let stand until cool, but still liquid.
- Spoon the creme filling into a pastry bag fitted with a medium-sized tip. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake, filling until the cupcake feels heavier. Be careful to to overfill so that the creme is overflowing from the top! Dip the cupcake tops into the ganache or use a spoon to top the cupcakes with ganache.