yield varies depending on cookie cutter size
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa powder
7 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together into a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg in a bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients, one half at a time.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth – it shouldn’t take very long. Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper until 1/4 inch thick. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a round cookie cutter (I used a 1 1/2 inch biscuit cutter), cut out as many cookies as you can. Take the leftovers from each round of cutting and knead, roll, and refrigerate to get more cookies. Do this until you can’t possibly get any more cookies!
- Bake for about 11 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave. Microwave in 15 second bursts, stirring after each time until the chocolate is melted.
- Spread the chocolate over the cookies and sprinkle the nonpareils on top!