Today was probably one of the hottest days so far this summer. After almost fainting from my run, I decided to do something stupid – make brownies. Why is this stupid? Well, I live in an attic apartment with horrible air circulation and no air conditioning. Turning on the oven was probably not the best thing to do. However, I think these were well worth it.
Rich Chocolate Brownies
makes 16 2-inch brownies
2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Place both types of chocolate and the butter into a microwaveable bowl. Heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each one until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla until the eggs are a light yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with gooey crumbs.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan before cutting. Sprinkle the brownies with powdered sugar, if desired.