My tastes have changed a lot over the years. For example, I used to hate bananas. Yes, hate. Their texture and taste never failed to make me gag. One night a couple of years ago, this all changed. Now, I like them when they’re still partially green or all yellow with no brown spots.
I also used to dislike chocolate. I never craved it, never sought it out. I was entirely indifferent to it. Ice cream? Strawberry, never chocolate. Candy? Sour or fruit candy, never chocolate. Hot drink? Tea or cider, never hot chocolate.
Then, I started the dietetic internship and the stress of it all brought out the chocolate monster that has been dormant all these years. Now I can’t get enough of the stuff. I never fail to have at least one chocolatey goodie a day. It doesn’t help that my work place seems to have an endless supply of chocolates. Funny enough, chocolate chip cookies are still not my favorite. Maybe it’s because there’s not enough chocolate?
This cookie, though, this cookie does have enough chocolate. There are not one, but two types of chocolate chips in it. And not one, but two cocoa powders to make for the ultimate chocolate cookie.
In my opinion, these are best eaten warm. Unfortunately I don’t have the patience to bake up a couple cookies whenever I get the itch, However, a 10 second spin in the microwave will bring the cookie back to the just-baked gooeyness, or at least really close to it.
Ultimate Chocolate Cookies
adapted from Martha Stewart
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder (like Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed until light yellow in color, about 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add in chocolate mixture slowly, beating until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Fold in 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips and 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop batter using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, placing 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 – 13 minutes, until outsides are set but center is still soft. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.