September is Hunger Action Month. I’m joining many others and I’m taking the SNAP Challenge for the week of September 15 – 21. Simply put, this is a challenge to eat on what the average Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefit is – $1.50 per meal, or $4.50 per day. That gives me a grand total of $63 to feed Mike and me for the entire week. The rules:
- $4.50 a day per person for all our food and beverage
- No eating out is allowed – you can’t use SNAP benefits to purchases restaurant meals
- I can’t use any items that I’ve already purchased (excluding spices & condiments)
- No free food from friends, family, and co-workers
- Keep track of spending with receipts
I’m nervous about not being able to stay within budget. Sure, we normally make one massive trip a week and spend about $50 – 60, but that doesn’t include all our last minute purchases like late-night ice cream runs. Mike doesn’t think he can live without coffee. I don’t know how I’m going to kick my Sour Skittles habit.
I’m determined to not sacrifice taste, nutrition, variety, or quality in our foods. And I’ll make sure Mike gets his coffee.
Are you up for the SNAP Challenge?